Reporting to the Hosting Operations Manger will be a key member of a team responsible for administering the production hosting environment for KAYAK.com, a worldwide leader in Internet travel search. The successful candidate for this position will be a self-starter with a wide range of skills in Linux/LAMP server hosting environments. A pleasant demeanor and a can-do attitude are a must for this position.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Administering Linux/Apache/Tomcat servers and applications in Kayak’s production, staging and development environments.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing issues in Kayak’s production environment.
- Build/install/patch production releases of Kayak’s application software on a rotating basis.
- Performing 24X7 on call duty on a rotating basis.
- 3+ years experience with application and Linux/Apache/Tomcat administration in a high volume web hosting operation. (RedHat/CentOS preferred)
- Strong TCP/IP networking skills including in depth knowledge of DNS, SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS and SSH protocols.
- Experience building and deploying production application software. Source code management/GIT experience desirable.
- Strong ruby/groovy/python/perl/bash or equivalent scripting capabilities.
Additional Desired Skills
- Experience implementing and administering operations automation and configuration management software. Puppet experience preferred.
- Experience configuring and administering switches, firewalls and load balancers.
- Experience implementing and configuring monitoring tools
- Experience administering MySQL databases.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes
- Initiative: ability to identify and complete tasks on your own.
- Top-notch troubleshooter: ability to dive into issues, resolve them and find the root cause quickly while under duress.
- Clear and effective communicator: ability to effectively work with internal and external customers and partners.
- Multi-tasker: ability to manage multiple tasks and properly prioritize them.
- Ability to document your work and keep that documentation up to date.
- Thrives in an environment with very strong colleagues.
What KAYAK can offer you
- No stupid meetings
- 4 weeks vacation
- Generous 401(k) matching
- Awesome health, dental and vision insurance plans
- Gym with showers and laundry
- Game room, drinks, coffee, snacks, etc. in the office
KAYAK is the best way to find hotels, flights, rental cars. We compare hundreds of travel sites at once.