Reporting to the Hosting Operations Manger will be a key member of a team responsible for administering the production hosting environment for KAYAK.com, a worldwide leader in Internet travel search. The successful candidate for this position will be a self-starter with a wide range of skills in Linux/LAMP server hosting environments. A pleasant demeanor and a can-do attitude are a must for this position.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Administering Linux/Apache/Tomcat servers and applications in KAYAK's production, staging and development environments.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing issues in KAYAK’s production environment.
- Build/install/patch production releases of KAYAK’s application software on a rotating basis.
- Performing 24X7 on call duty on a rotating basis.
- 3+ years experience with application and Linux/Apache/Tomcat administration in a high volume web hosting operation. (RedHat/CentOS preferred)
- Strong TCP/IP networking skills including in depth knowledge of DNS, SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS and SSH protocols.
- Experience building and deploying production application software. Source code management/GIT experience desirable.
- Strong ruby/groovy/python/perl/bash or equivalent scripting capabilities.
Additional Desired Skills
- Experience implementing and administering operations automation and configuration management software. Puppet experience preferred.
- Experience configuring and administering switches, firewalls and load balancers.
- Experience implementing and configuring monitoring tools
- Experience administering MySQL databases.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes
- Initiative: ability to identify and complete tasks on your own.
- Top-notch troubleshooter: ability to dive into issues, resolve them and find the root cause quickly while under duress.
- Clear and effective communicator: ability to effectively work with internal and external customers and partners.
- Multi-tasker: ability to manage multiple tasks and properly prioritize them.
- Ability to document your work and keep that documentation up to date.
- Thrives in an environment with very strong colleagues.
What KAYAK can offer you
- No stupid meetings
- 4 weeks vacation
- Generous 401(k) matching
- Awesome health, dental and vision insurance plans
- Gym with showers and laundry
- Game room, drinks, coffee, snacks, etc. in the office
KAYAK is the world’s leading travel search engine. KAYAK searches other travel sites and shows travelers the information they need to find the right flights, hotels, rental cars and vacation packages. The company’s website and apps also offer tools to help travelers plan and manage their trip, including price alerts, price forecasts and free itinerary management. Each year, KAYAK processes more than one billion searches for travel information and has local sites in more than 35 countries and 20 languages. KAYAK is an independently managed subsidiary of The Priceline Group.