Ever get the sudden urge to get out and go somewhere? You might not even know where, but at least you know how much you can spend. Enter: KAYAK Explore – your go-to tool for finding out where to travel. This tool lets you see where in the world you can fly based on your budget, desired dates, or type of trip. Whether you’re looking for a weekend adventure or a multi-week journey, Explore is a great place to start your search.
How to use Explore
1. Head to kayak.com/explore for our interactive map, or the second icon on the bottom left if you’re using our mobile app. There, we’ll use your geodata to autofill your home airport. If you’re starting from somewhere else, no sweat – feel free to change the starting location for your search.
2. If you’re searching via desktop, the next step is selecting the “when” you want to go. You can choose from a range of months or how many days you’d like to be away. You can also leave this part blank or choose “any time” to see all the possible options.
If you have particular travel dates in mind, you can also choose the exact days you’d like to depart and return from your trip.
If you’re searching using via mobile app, you can narrow down your options by using the Budget, Dates, Distance, or Themes filters located at the top of your screen.
3. Then, utilize search filters. You can narrow down your results based on the amount of stops and flight duration.
4. This is where you adjust your budget. Don’t be shy. Whether you have $50 or $2,000 to spend, we can try to find your next destination.
Or, if you have a certain type of trip in mind, you can also find a destination based on your interests. For example, if you’re in the mood for food, Explore can narrow down places that are perfect for foodies.
5. Press “Apply filters” and voila! The map will automatically update with your chosen selections. Use the hand or zoom tool to browse the map and find destinations around the country and world.
If you’d prefer to sort your options based on price, scroll down past the map on desktop or select “list view” on the app. There you will see what flights we were able to find within the last 48 hours, arranged from least to most expensive.
6. Now for the fun part: Choose whatever option suits you. If you browse with the map, at a glance you’ll be able to see prices pinned to different locations. If you prefer to use the list, you’ll see info including destination, price, country and travel dates. Changed your mind? Modify your results by adjusting the filters on the left-hand side.
7. Once you’ve found something of interest, click on the destination on desktop or swipe up on the app. You’ll then be presented with the option to check for flight prices, set a price alert, and a snapshot of available airlines. Depending on the location, you may also get a quick summary about your destination.
Not 100% sold on when to take your trip? Keep scrolling and you’ll see flight trends data – if you’re flexible with your dates, this graph can help you find cheaper flights for the selected destination. Here, you can also adjust the amount of days you’re away to see how that effects the price.
Depending on the destination, there may also be further information about the top reasons to visit that location, must-see attractions and ways to get around.
8. Ready to reveal your results? If you’re using desktop, select “Check flight prices” on the right handside or if you’re using the app, tap “See flights.” You’ll then be directed to any fares we’ve found that match your search. From there, you can seal the deal and make your trip official.
And that, dear travelers, is how it’s done – just another way we’re making sure you feel confident when you plan your travel. Go ahead, try out Explore for yourself.