The house was purchased in 1991, and has been in a constant state of renovation since the day we walked through the front door. We have tried to bring this wonderful old house back to its original beauty, with the addition of modern conveniences for our guest's comfort. The house has been here since the early 1900's, and has stood through many storms, hurricanes, a fire, an explosion, and a 2 unit apartment house. The original house did not have baths, was heated by coal stoves, and the kitchen was not attached to the main house. The original kitchen interior was destroyed by a fire along with the porches that once wrapped around the kitchen, the fire damage extended into the dining room and living room areas of the house. The remainder of the house has all the original wood flooring and walls, and most of the glass is the old wavy glass that is so hard to come by today. All the wood to construct the house was milled on the property, along with the forged nails. The original property consisted of twenty-six acres, which was subdivided over the years. The orginal owner of the house was a US Coastguardsman who was stationed on Hatteras Island, and commuted to his duty station from Mill Landing just a short distance down what is now Rt. 345. The original owners family still own the property on the north and west sides of our property, and their daughter is still living, and spends some of her summers on the beach with her family.