The House of Varais is built at the foot of a hill, offering a view over the Douro Valley with its typical terraces covered with vineyards, which produces the famous Port wine. The present building dates from the early eighteenth century, although the original building is thought traced to the fifteenth century or even earlier date. Previously, the house belonged to the noble family Coutinho, Lord of Lamego and Penedono, but then and for several years, the House of Varais Salzedas was inhabited by monks, who were allowed to remain there indefinitely. However, in 1753, the house was returned to the family when Alexander Luis de Sousa Coutinho - Military Governor of Armamar - decided to cancel the permission, because it wanted to dwell in the house with his family. The housing also became known for its turbulent history, having been invaded by Napoleon s troops led by General Loison, as well as the fact that it was completely destroyed by fire in 1940 and eventually be necessary to rebuild it, while keeping the lines original architectural. The House of Varais is related to several noble families, including the Castro, Vilhena and Pinto da Fonseca. Dali is known riders and ambassadors in the Portuguese colonies, as well as governors of India, Ceylon and Malacca. The present owner of the house is Varais D. Lucia de Castro Girão. The house was restored in 1981, preserving its ancient traces, as well as its interior. Living rooms have fireplaces for cold winter nights, but in summer, which is a pleasure to enjoy the shadows of the garden, walking through the fifth or opt for boating on the river that runs quietly at the feet of the house. Painted in pink-live, has a terrace overlooking the Douro River and is part of a property where Port wine is produced.