While it may seem as though summer’s just begun, our eyes are already set on the season’s ultimate final vacation weekend: Labor Day.
Labor Day weekend is the ultimate travel weekend, when you jet out for a last-hurrah trip before the realities of fall set in. And because we know the summer will fly by before you can say frosé, we wanted to figure out the most affordable destinations for Labor Day weekend, based on how far in advance you book your trip.
By tracking the destinations that saw the lowest median airfare for Labor Day last year, we’ve identified which cities could offer you the most bang for your vacation buck. And, knowing that not everyone can be an MVP (Most Valuable Planner), we filtered all your potential destinations down by how far ahead you book your trip. So you can be confident you’re not only likely to find a great flight deal, but you’re also booking at the right time.
So get ready for the final countdown… to an epic Labor Day weekend.
- Houston, TX: median airfare $138
- Myrtle Beach, SC: median airfare $154
- Tampa, FL: median airfare $163
- Toronto, Ottawa, Canada: median airfare $237
- Guadalajara, Mexico: median airfare $260
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: median airfare $281
- Baltimore, MD: median airfare $126
- West Palm Beach, FL: median airfare $160
- Orlando, FL: median airfare $167
- Cozumel, Mexico: median airfare $214
- Montego Bay, Jamaica: median airfare $229
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada: median airfare $256
- San Jose, CA: median airfare $156
- Milwaukee, WI: median airfare $167
- Lihue (Kauai), HI: median airfare $173
- Kingston, Jamaica: median airfare $275
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada: median airfare $287
- Nassau, Bahamas: median airfare $303
- Long Beach, CA: median airfare $138
- Tucson, AZ: median airfare $168
- Fort Myers, FL: median airfare $174
- Aguadilla, Puerto Rico: median airfare $153
- Victoria, British Columbia, Canada: median airfare $172
- Providenciales, Turks & Caicos: median airfare $245
- Sacramento, CA: median airfare $147
- Cleveland, OH: median airfare $161
- San Francisco, CA: median airfare $166
- Belize City, Belize: median airfare $151
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: median airfare $202
- San Jose del Cabo, Mexico: median airfare $214
- St. Louis, MO: median airfare $131
- San Diego, CA: median airfare $138
- Pittsburgh, PA: median airfare $154
- Oranjestad, Aruba: median airfare $156
- Cancun, Mexico: median airfare $164
- Freeport, Bahamas: median airfare $223
- Martha’s Vineyard, MA: median airfare $111
- Memphis, TN: median airfare $131
- San Diego, CA: median airfare $147
- Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada: median airfare $149
- Cancun, Mexico: median airfare $213
- Hamilton, Bermuda: median airfare $249
- Las Vegas, NV: median airfare $144
- Austin, TX: median airfare $149
- New Orleans, LA: median airfare $149
- San Juan, Puerto Rico: median airfare $261
- Puerta Vallarta, Mexico: median airfare $270
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: median airfare $302
In looking at last year’s Labor Day data, some things are very clear:
- If you’re looking for an international bargain, head north or south — not east or west. Based on last year’s data, destinations in Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean shine through as affordable escapes, with median airfares barely breaking $300 roundtrip for Labor Day. Noticeably absent from the list? Destinations in Europe, Africa or Asia. For a whirlwind LDW getaway in those locales, you’re gonna need more thoughtful planning.
- Canada has what you want, has what you need. Many cities in Canada topped the charts for American Labor Day travelers. And thanks to a favorable exchange rate, your dollar will go far. If you’re wondering what to do in one of these inexpensive cities, look no further.
- Aruba, Jamaica, ooh, I wanna take ya. To Bermuda, Bahamas, c’mon you know how this song goes. Destinations in the Caribbean are coming out on top for Labor Day. With island escapes showing up as some of LDW’s most affordable options, we think pairing your end-of-summer pina colada with an ocean view is a must.
- Florida and California cure that summertime sadness. You don’t need a passport to get beachy for Labor Day. States with year-round summer vibes are proving to be some of the best options for Labor Day Weekend deal hunters.
- If you find a great deal, book it. This should go without saying, but listen. Our charts are only a guide. If you find a great deal to your dream destination — book it. Not sure what price might be considered a “good deal”? Our Anywhere tool can help you figure it out by providing customized insights from your home airport to the destination of your choice.
Whether you’re an MVP (Most Valuable Planner) or more go-with-the-flow, there’s a Labor Day destination to fit your planning style so you can confidently get away for summer’s last weekend.
The data mentioned above is based on median airfares conducted from KAYAK and is intended to be used as a guide. Travel dates are 9/1/2017-9/4/2017 and search dates are the 8 weeks (broken out by Monday-Sunday) leading up to the indicated travel dates. All flights considered are economy, round-trip. Prices and availability may vary.