Slip on your boat shoes and throw a cardigan over that polo, we’ve been tracking travel trends for East Coasters.
While summers on the Cape and Vineyard (Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard for those below the 39th parallel) are about as New England as you can get, we have bad news. These already pricey destinations are getting even pricier this summer.
In fact, our data shows that flights to Cape Cod are 35% more expensive this summer vs. last. Martha’s Vineyard is likewise seeing a 28% increase in airfare. And don’t think the Caribbean offers an affordable alternative: flights from the East Coast to places like BVI, Saint Thomas, Saint Johns and Belize are also seeing significant price jumps this summer.
So, what’s a thrifty traveler to do? Don’t get your pearls in a tangle, we sifted through our data from over a billion annual searches to find out where East Coast travelers can score a deal this summer.
5 Wallet-Friendly Summer Destinations for East Coasters:
- Bar Harbor, Maine: Looking for alternatives to Martha’s Vineyard and Cape Cod for your summer travel plans? Look no further than Bar Harbor — a beautiful boat town along Maine’s Frenchman Bay. This year, flight prices have dropped by 25%.
- Reykjavik, Iceland: Only a 5-hour flight from the Northeast, Reykjavik is continuously gaining momentum amongst travelers. This summer flight prices are down 18%, making it the perfect time swap the sand and salty air for some waterfalls and glaciers.
- Mykonos, Greece: Crack open the ouzo, prices to Mykonos are down 19% this year compared to last year.
- Denver, Colorado: Get that Mile High feeling in Denver. Flight prices are down 10% and while it may not be your typical summer beach vacation, what this city lacks in sand it makes up for in scenery.
- Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Victoria, Canada: Canada is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year (HBD, Canada). As if on cue, flight prices to many popular Canadian hot spots are seeing a 10% decrease this summer vs. last. Now is the time to visit our Northern neighbors.