Pros: The pool is nice. The seafood dinner at Casona was exceptional, and perhaps the only thing that offset all the negatives.
Cons: 1. Upon arrival, the check in receptionist told me that wifi access could not be made available until the next day when the "tecnico" got in. Nica travelers will know that even the most basic restaurants will give you the wifi code on demand. This is supposed to be a luxury hotel). That same guy at reception would prove to be completely useless on other rather simple requests, such as A) do you have a wine bottle opener? (Fijese que solo en el restaurante). Not in the bar located at reception, and B) coffee, because they were out of mugs.
2. The sink in our bathroom broke and would not stop spewing water. Five outs later when we got back to the room it was still going. They only allow maintenance in when guests are present but did not mention that.
3. Maintenance had to turn off the water to get it to stop so we had to pack up and switch rooms.
4. Got to know room and went to call for said wine opener and realized the phone did not work. Neither did TV remote.
5. Had to walk to reception to get wine opener and let them know about phone, then waited for maintenance to arrive and fix.
6. Wifi was inconsistently working over three days.
7. It's all inclusive, which sounds nice, but food at main restaurant is mediocre and the all inclusive drinks are terrible.
8. The only way to get around, besides walking, is to take a very slow moving tram pulled by a tractor.
9. They have lawn chairs near the beach but you have to move them yourself.
10. Showers, bathrooms, and many other facilities are dated.
11. You need a "permission slip" to leave the premises during your stay.
12. Many on staff don't seem at all interested in attending to clients.
Would not recommend going here.
The Barcelo Montelimar Beach hotel is situated in an exclusive enclave in Nicaragua, due to its lush tropical flora and its incredible natural surroundings. It is situated right on the beach and the resort is 210 hm2 in size. In addition to the hotel's excellent cuisine, and amongst other facilities, you can enjoy its 3 pools - one of them is the biggest pool in all Central America - a gym, a jacuzzi, a riding school, a sports court, and a night club. It is worth highlighting that all rooms and bungalows are spacious, fully equipped and have magnificent views. The resort, which offers the Barcelo All Inclusive programme, is the only place in Nicaragua with this service. It has been granted Nicaragua's Leading Hotel award, given by 2009 World Travel Awards.
Gran Pacifica's Vida del Mar is a great choice for your beach stay in San Diego. The outdoor pool provides fun for everyone, while guests in the mood for pampering can indulge in massages. Sea Salt serves international cuisine and is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A golf course and a bar/lounge are other highlights, and condos offer conveniences like refrigerators and microwaves.