Summer is finally here, and you know what that means. It’s time to start your vacation-planning engines because it’s without a doubt one of the four best seasons to plan a trip. Take advantage of sunny days and warm nights with a much-needed getaway to one of these top destinations. And if you’d rather not spend a lot, you’re in luck. We’ve also dug into our data to find the best travel spots for a summer getaway that won’t break the bank.
To give you an idea of where to go (and how much to spend), we’ve rounded up the most popular, top trending and wallet-friendly destinations for summer 2019.
Already know where you want to go? Start planning.
Good to know
Looking at these lists, there are a few things to point out:
- You can still find affordable flights to Reykjavik. With Reykjavik losing one of its most affordable airline options this year, those with Iceland travel goals may think they missed their opportunity to get there on the cheap. But not to worry, there are plenty of low-cost options and it’s still one of the most affordable countries to fly to in Europe.
- The Caribbean is hot right now. And we’re not just talking about the weather. The 5 international destinations with the biggest jump in interest compared to last year are all in the Caribbean. Those with concerns over travel to the Dominican Republic can find similar tropical vibes on any of these trending islands. In fact, here are even more Caribbean destinations where traveler interest is on the rise.
- Domestic travel under $300. All 10 of our cheapest popular destinations within the U.S. show median airfare less than $300 for summer travel. So whether you want to splurge on all the BBQ in Austin or Nashville, or hit the beach in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, there’s a domestic flight with your name on it.
And now, for the lists.
Cheapest popular domestic destinations for summer travel
Planning a getaway at home but on a budget? These are the most-searched-for destinations in the US that also clock in under $300 round-trip.
- Chicago, IL– Median airfare $212
- Orlando, FL- Median airfare $213
- Denver, CO- Median airfare $221
- Tampa, FL- Median airfare $229
- Miami, FL– Median airfare $231
- Austin, TX- Median airfare is $232
- Fort Lauderdale, FL– Median airfare is $234
- Nashville, TN– Median airfare$234
- New York, NY– Median airfare $238
- Boston, MA- Median airfare is $239
Cheapest European destinations for summer travel
Looking to venture beyond our borders but not spend a whole lot doing it? Not only are these some of the most-searched-for international destinations on KAYAK, but you can also get there for less than $500 round-trip.
- Reykjavik, Iceland– Median airfare $550
- Madrid, Spain– Median airfare is $689
- London, UK– Median airfare is $703
- Barcelona, Spain– Median airfare is $735
- Shannon, Ireland– Median airfare is $743
2019 most popular destinations for summer travel
These cities are the most-searched-for spots on KAYAK for a summer getaway.
- London, UK
- Las Vegas, NV
- Los Angeles, CA
- Seattle, WA
- Honolulu, HI
- Denver, CO
- Paris, France
- Boston, MA
- San Francisco,CA
- Barcelona, Spain
Top trending international destinations for summer travel
These cities saw some of the biggest increases in interest for summer travel when compared to last year.
- St. Lucia– Interest up 276%
- St. Maarten– Interest up 113%
- San Juan, Puerto Rico– Interest up 98%
- Aguadilla, Puerto Rico– Interest up 97%
- St. Thomas– Interest up 97%
- Sao Paulo, Brazil– Interest up 36%
- Kona, Hawaii– Interest up 30%
- Montego Bay, Jamaica– Interest up 30%
- Porto, Portugal– Interest up 29%
All data is based on median airfares conducted from KAYAK US and is intended to be used as a guide. Travel dates considered are May 24, 2019 – September 3, 2019, and search dates are November 1, 2018 – May 1, 2019. To compare year over year findings, KAYAK considered searches from November 1, 2017 through May 1, 2018 for travel May 25, 2018 through September 4, 2018. All flights considered are economy, round-trip.